Monday, August 8, 2011

I Grew Up on Corn Dogs and Zucchini Bread

We had a zucchini bake-off on the farm on Sunday. Prior to the event I told everyone I was going to make something unorthodox. I did. The inspiration came from my childhood. I ate corn dogs growing up. I ATE corn dogs growing up. Hella. I had a lot of fun making the Dogz (the z is for zucchini) and watching Wes try to restrain from eating them all. I didn't win but Wes' approval was more than enough consolation. Needless to say, the vegetarians didn't like my dogz quite as much. Katherine won and she deserved it. Her Zuc cakes with Phil zauce were awesome - in taste, complexity, and appearance - and she hustled votes like a true victor. Her double-zucchini traffic-controlling needed some work however.


Farmer Michael's Zucchini Batter Corn Dogs

For deep frying
1 qt peanut oil

Dry ingredients
1 c all purpose flour
1 c yellow corn meal
¼ c white sugar
2 ½  tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper or hot sauce
Mini picture for
mini dogz
A few grinds of black pepper

Wet ingredients
1 ¼ c of buttermilk
1 FCF egg
1 c grated large FCF zucchini

Meat
2 lbs dogs (cut in half for minis)
BBQ skewers (cut in half for minis – cut side not in dog)

-Bring oil to medium heat, ~375
-Combine dry ingredients in a bowl
-Ad the wet ingredients and mix
-Dry off dogs with paper towel before coating them in batter so the batter sticks
-Insert wooden sticks into the dogs, dip into batter and shake off excess
-Fry to desired color, ~4 min for golden brown
-Drain on paper towels
-Om nom nom!


No comments:

Post a Comment